Thursday, January 29, 2009

What's new?

Madi is potty trained.  

Isabella really wants a pet when she's bigger.  She'd settle on a guinea pig, but would prefer a bunny, or kitty.  (It's something she talks about a lot...but it's been "Pet" week at school.)  

The bathroom is not done...all of the pieces are in place, and work...but the tiling, painting, and mirror are not done yet.  The contractors may show up tomorrow to finish the job...but I doubt I'll see them until Monday.  They have gone on to another job until my border tile was in (which came in today).   I have been looking for mirrored recessed medicine cabinet to replace the old one...but the only one I can find is $900...because we have a special "custom" sized space.  I think I'm going to have them put up a wall there and just hang a mirror...in the interest of saving $$.  Jeesh!

I'm working on a lot of different projects for my doula stuff.  I've got clients right now.  I'm working with ICAN of Iowa (International Cesarean Awareness Network) on a VBAC calling plan (vaginal birth after cesarean-which is banned in most hospitals, but is the safest route for both mom and baby).  I'm also working as a co-coordinator for Friends of Iowa Midwives for the Central Iowa chapter.  We are re-writing a bill to legalize direct entry midwives (home birth midwives) in the state.  They are legal in many states surrounding us, but not here.  I have not ruled out midwifery as an occupation, so it's in my best interest to get my hands wet here.  

I'm also a part of a new doula group in Des Moines.  It's a group of newly trained doula's trying to learn the ropes.  Unfortunately one of them is using Des Moines Doula for her website address.   I've asked her to change it, to no avail.  Since it's been my trade name in the area for years, I don't think she can legally use it.  I have several friends that would do me a favor...but I will give her a third chance to change it.  I've talked to her via email, and phone.  She has refused...but still would like to have a mentoring relationship.  :)  That's another struggle in and of itself. 

We all really enjoyed hosting the Dunbar Christmas on Saturday.  Grandma Eoleen said she counted 18 great-great grandkids.  I believe there were 16 adults.  The kids always out-number us.  The girls caught the "Company Cold" afterwards.  It's inevitable.  They always get sick after the holidays.  Not enough rest, and too much sugar...and if you ask Bella she would "Too Many BOYS!!"   (She did get to play w/ Tasha and Mandy's girls who are older..and Kennedy and Erika...so she finally had a lot of girls to play with.)  She still wants to be able to orchestrate the entire party, and gets upset when everyone is doing their own thing.  She put a "sign in" sheet by the front door for people to sign when they arrived...but is too shy to tell anyone about it.  She came to me crying because no one was signing in as requested.  :)  

Madi loved have little girls her age to play with.  Again- Tasha and Mandy's little girls are her age.  And of course Larry's Madi is too.  They had fun sharing dress up clothes, pretend food, sippy cups, and colds.  

Great Grandma Eoleen has only seen 1 Eagle in her life..and James pointed out a bunch of them on their way up.  Grandma missed it, and didn't want him to turn around.  They looked for them on their way home, but didn't see them.  He has vowed to take her to Burlington to the river this weekend if it's nice to see some eagles.  I'm sure she will love it! 

Michael is plugging away at work.  There's always radio even when times are tough.  Sales are hard right now for everyone..including radio, but they are doing fine.  

We're looking at fixing our fence in the spring.   Amongst all of the other "duties" right now, comes jumping through hoops for the city to rebuild our fence where it stands.  Currently they want us to bump it in away from the street to the east of us...25 feet.  That cuts my backyard in half.  Brings the fence line up close to our patio.  I am not willing to lose the entire backyard.  We also have to cut it down to 4 ft high on the south and east..because we are  a corner lot, and people have to be able to see around the corner.  (They can already because our house sits on the back corner of two lots.)  I don't want to lose yard space and height.  So...we have to go to the Board of Adjustments meeting soon.  It's a costly project.  I think our home repair budget is about done!  Goodness.  

The great news is, that the outside will be all buttoned up (well, not the windows), so we can work on yard work, and the inside wall paper.  Always a lot to do.  

I'd love to plant a decent garden this spring too.   So MUCH to do.  Where's my "village" when I need them?  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment